Challenge Series - new developments
Published 15:08 on 17 May 2023
We have given some careful thought to the Challenge Series and how it can be better used to develop our sailing at TSC. We have come up with 2 ideas, which will run for Challenge 5 to 10 and which we hope will help.
There will be a new Gold, Silver, Bronze fleet system for the Challenge Series, which we hope will give new and less experienced sailors the chance to discover the fun of racing in a more relaxed environment and encourage our strongest sailors to act as mentors and coaches.
The fleets are as follows:
- Gold the club's top racers, those who race regularly and could expect to be consistently in the top half of the field
- Bronze new sailors, those who have done Sail Training at the club within the last 3 years, or expect to do it next year, or other RYA level 2/3 sailors
- Silver the rest of the dinghy fleet
The prizes for the Challenge Series will be awarded to the highest placed Silver and Bronze sailors. Gold sailors are welcome to take part, but sadly there is no prize for them! We will run 3 shorter races in each session, in-race coaching is actively encouraged and help from the safety boats is allowed without penalty.
Participants will be placed in a fleet by the organisers, if you feel you are in the wrong fleet, just say and we'll accommodate you where possible.
We will be running sailing clinics, in parallel with the racing. Following a similar format to the Familiarisation sessions, we will start with a shore-based session on the subject of the day before going on the water to put it into practice. The sessions will be given by some of our top sailors, who have promised to share the benefits of their years of experience. Below are some ideas for sessions, we will give details in advance of each session as it approaches:
Sail trim, building on the basics:
- Sheeting tell-tales, balance
- Controls kicker, downhaul, outhaul
- Sailing backwards
- Rudderless sailing
- Launching and recovery on lee shore
- understanding the tide at TSC
- how to use it to your advantage
- boat tuning
- sailing faster
Better Tacking and Gybing
- reducing risk
- increasing efficiency
How to be a great crew
- understanding your role
- how a good crew can make a helm great
- understanding the key rules
- how to use them to your advantage
We hope this appeals and look forward to seeing you at the Challenge sessions this year. If you have any questions or comments, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or response through the Forum post here: https://www.thornburysc.org.uk/forums/981/21079
Last updated 15:10 on 17 May 2023